Microsoft – Going Toe to Toe with Sage Intacct
Sage Intacct isn’t the only cloud ERP vendor with a new release. Microsoft recently announced their Dynamics 365 2020 Release Wave 2. Scheduled to release in October, it includes significant updates and enhancements across their entire Dynamics 365 family of products including Dynamics 365 Sales Professional (CRM), the Power Platform (Power Apps, Power Automate and Power BI) and, of course, Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central.
Like other SaaS (Software as a Service) applications, Dynamics 365 Business Central updates are automatic. Occurring in April and October of every year, clients will be notified when their tenant will be included in the release “wave.” No longer are the days of the once a year upgrade, and service packs coming who knows when. Not to mention saving on all the costs associated with an upgrade! Once a client has been notified that their tenant is ready for the next release, they can then schedule the best possible time for their system to be automatically updated. We usually suggest Friday after 5. This way if any additional add on products need to be re-installed or updated that can be done over the weekend, and there will be no loss of operational efficiency by Monday. Well, other than it being Monday.
Some of the upcoming new features for Business Central include:
- COMPANY HUB – Users in multi-entity organizations will now have a dedicated Company Hub home page with overview information on all of the companies that the user works in.
- DEFAULT UNIT COST FOR NON-INVENTORY ITEMS – To ensure that item costs are up to date for service and non-inventory items, the default Unit Cost for such items can be updated on the Item and Stockkeeping Unit pages.
- TRACK PACKAGES FROM MORE TYPES OF SALES DOCUMENTS – The package tracking feature that was available on the Posted Sales Shipments page is not available on the Posted Sales Invoice, Posted Sales Credit Memo and Posted Return Receipt pages.
- CHECK FINANCIAL JOURNALS IN BACKGROUND – This new option helps avoid posting errors by using artificial intelligence to validate your journal entries as you enter them. It provides early, unobtrusive visual indications if there is a problem.
- WRITE LONGER ITEM REFERENCES – This feature allows you to add the vendor’s or customer’s item reference number to a document.
- ENHANCED EMAIL CAPABILITIES – This feature will enable entirely new e-mail scenarios such as added support for multiple accounts, distribution groups, and improved attachment management.
- USE RECURRING JOURNALS TO ALLOCATE BALANCES BY DIMENSION VALUES – In recurring journals, you can now specify dimension filters one the source G/L accounts from which you want to allocate cost, and you can set the Recurring Method field to Balance or Reversing Balance.
- BANK RECONCILIATION IMPROVEMENTS – The Bank Account Reconciliation page will include a feature to cancel a posted bank reconciliation so that users can recover from mistakes. In addition, the bank reconciliation will automate the reconciliation of differences.
- BETTER WITH MICROSOFT 365 – You will now be able to bring Business Central data into Microsoft Teams conversations to make decisions faster as a team.
- MIGRATIONS TO BUSINESS CENTRAL – Continued enhancements for migrating data from Dynamics GP to Business Central.
- SEAMLESS SERVICE – Experience boosted performance with faster and more responsive screen updates, increased reliability and increased security.
If you are a current user of Business Central, and you have an idea for an improvement you would like to see, Microsoft would love to hear from you! You can register your idea and get others in the community to vote for it at Business Central Ideas. If the idea has enough support, and others may be asking for it as well, you could see your idea come to fruition. Many of the improvements being made have only been possible by users like you!
If you would like to start your journey to the cloud, or have any other questions, Maner Solutions is here to help! We have experienced staff, and a dedicated sales team here to help your business grow to its fullest potential.
Thanks for reading! And remember, you can’t reach for the stars until you get to the cloud.